Lead yourself FIRST!

A church planting story:
Most church planters believe that they are to be supported to be successful, so they peg any failure on the sending organization: I believe that when we are so vision driven and we know what we are here on earth for we will be accountable; self accountability-  I LIKE TO ENCOURAGE MY SELF THAT: If it works it’s because I was totally committed to it not because I was sent. It is because I want it so bad; I can’t blame it on others.
The title of our workshop is suggestive; the Word first  simply says, do it as priority: if you are to lead others which you are here some of you because you are going to plant a church or have already –then you want to know where to begin, that is how to lead self.
In fact, failure in self leadership is the ultimate failure in leadership: it’s like a blindfolded man driving a bus on Mombasa road with men seated reading their newspapers; 
Let’s ask ourselves truly what it means to lead your’s-self first:
1.       Biblical Model of Self leadership:

1 Cor 9:24-27 (ESV)

A paraphrase
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it { Plant and lead the church that you may obtain the ultimate reward} . 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; {so I do not pastor or lead aimlessly} I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching {leading a church or planting one} to others I myself should be disqualified.

2.      1 Tim 3:1-13 (ESV)

1-7 If anyone wants to provide leadership in the church, good! But there are preconditions: A leader must be well-thought-of, committed to his wife, cool and collected, accessible, and hospitable. He must know what he’s talking about, not be overfond of wine, not pushy but gentle, not thin-skinned, not money-hungry. He must handle his own affairs well, attentive to his own children and having their respect. For if someone is unable to handle his own affairs, how can he take care of God’s church? He must not be a new believer, lest the position go to his head and the Devil trip him up. Outsiders must think well of him, or else the Devil will figure out a way to lure him into his trap.

Paul touches on various areas of our life that we need to exercise self leadership:

1.       Moral Character  (simply Above reproach)
a.      Of special note is self-control (discipline and self denial)
The ability to take charge of the mind, and Christians have this possibility opened to them. This allows control over impulses (to overindulge the physical appetites, to think wrong thoughts about others and ourselves) which without control would drive us to excessive behavior.
2.       Maturity :
a.      A growing leader is a growing leader; we must be always looking in to see what to add to our leadership.  I am first a follower then a leader not the other way round.

v  Fundamental to successful development as a leader is an understanding of self and one’s own abilities. This includes understanding one’s personality, values, and preferences, while simultaneously recognizing one’s potential as a leader.
v  Leading yourself means taking accountability for your life and work. Accountability is a willingness to own the results of your choices, actions, inactions, behaviors, thoughts, communication and attitude. An accountable person doesn't waste time with blaming others or making excuses. An accountable person looks at their situation and asks, "What can I do? How can I do it?" 

REFLECTIONS: What does it mean for me to lead myself?

1.       Recognizing the place of Grace in/on my life:
a.      The grace of God constantly reminds us of how much we need God; this understanding helps us to receive those we lead with some measure of grace; - it is simply not having an inflated view of one self.
b.      The Grace of God reminds me of my true self worth, which is determined by Gods outlook of me. I then lead out of the riches of His grace
2.       Living a Value driven life:
a.      Leading self
                                                              i.      Discipline and self denial
                                                            ii.      Diligent effort and –hard toil
                                                          iii.      Great care planning & order – (the ability to do what is priority and structure my life around what matters)
b.      I then set values in these area;
{A value being a trait that I am willing to live for and die for} it determines where my treasures are.
                                                              i.      Finances
                                                            ii.      Morally
                                                          iii.      Health wise (do I value length and strength of days)
1.       E.g. I exercise daily because I value my health and in so doing I value my family and ministry.
2.       A unhealthy leader cannot lead others to health.
                                                          iv.      Marriage
                                                            v.      relationships
3.      Paying a close watch on my Character
v  Character and Integrity
The real me: – true leadership always begins with the inner person. People can sense the depth of a person’s character.
v  People will believe what you say more when they find you are a strict student of the same: If you say you are serious about time management and best use of time it must be seen in how you conduct yourself.
v  No leadership lesson is for others that is not first our lesson:
4.      Work Ethics;
a.      Exert myself as if God is going to ask me for a report at the end of the day…
b.      I do not blame anyone for my failures etc
c.       {Drop Dead Principle} Go home before the work is done

 A leader and vulnerability
A leader at the end is exposing himself to people who really want to know about how to be successful in whatever and it is a life of continuous discipleship and inviting others to look at how much you are striving to be like Christ. That’s what I call ideal self leadership
v  Caution working on myself (self Leadership) is a lifelong process definitely and all must be learners;  so I also must not beat myself but be strict as a student of Better

Self Leadership is = Grace + Vulnerability (determine your personal Guardrails) + a Value driven Life

 What are some of your Guardrail?
It’s easy to teach leadership; it’s difficult to model leadership. John-Maxwell-to-lead-start-with-yourself
To reach out to Tobbias;
Twitter @tcngala

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“WILLY MUTUNGA”… Gods “(mashiah),”

Think It With Me.. Contemplate

We are Born "HOMOZ AND LESBIANS"....